Some Statistical Data

There is now a lot of evidence indicating that there are more Puerto Ricans living stateside than there are on the Island.  How are they fairing in the US?  What are the political, economic, and social conditions for Puerto Ricans who have settled in places such as New York and Miami?  The honest answer is that many Puerto Ricans in the US are living without access to quality education, adequate healthcare, and are subject to discrimination.  However, to say this without providing facts would be a great disservice. Below I have included a selection of statistics from a 2013 article. To see the full article at Caribbean Business, click here.

Poverty status: The share of Puerto Ricans who live in poverty, 28%, is higher than the rate both for the general U.S. population (16%) and for Hispanics overall (26%).

Language: An estimated 82% of Puerto Ricans, ages 5 and older, speak English proficiently. The other 18% of Puerto Ricans report speaking English less than very well, compared with 34% of all Hispanics.

Regional dispersion: Puerto Ricans are concentrated in the Northeast (53%), mostly in New York (23%); and in the South (30%), mostly in Florida (18%). Florida has replaced New York as the primary destination for Puerto Ricans moving stateside, with the biggest infl ux centered along the Interstate 4 corridor around Orlando. The spiking Puerto Rican population is reshaping the political map in the key battleground state.

Health insurance: Fully 15% of Puerto Ricans don’t have health insurance compared with 30% of all Hispanics and 15% of the general U.S. population. Moreover, about 5% of Puerto Ricans younger than 18 are uninsured.

-Noella

CB STAFF. “Five Million Puerto Ricans Now Living in the Mainland U.S.” Carribean Business 41.24 (2013): n. pag. Web. 12 Apr. 2014. <http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/prnt_ed/five-million-puerto-ricans-now-living-in-the-mainland-u.s.-8675.html&gt;.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s